(effective Fall 2015)
K-12 Subject Field Specialization is a 30-credit major that qualifies students to become eligible for certification as a teacher for specific content areas on the middle and secondary school levels. This major uses students' subject area specialization as a framework for learning about methods and materials for teaching a specific content area in middle/junior high and high school. Field-based experiences are an integral part of this program so that students can apply learning from coursework to content area classrooms.
Dr. Lynne Orr, Academic Advisor- Coordinator, Retention Services
Room: VR 3104, Valley Road, within the suite of 3108
Steps to Acceptance and Continuation in the Undergraduate Major in Secondary Education, K-12
- Students must have an additional major in an appropriate liberal arts or science major as indicated by the state.
- Enroll in or successfully pass ANTH 2020 - earning at least a C.
- Attend an orientation meeting and follow the in Declaring Education as a Major direction, pass the Praxis Core (5751) - Praxis I and complete the Speech and Hearing Assessment (X3685).
- Complete PSY 1100 successfully - earning at least a C
- Obtain a NJ Substitute Teaching License, after 60 credits.
- Beginning Fall 2014 you must maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA, as well as, a 3.0 GPA in Education in order to continue taking Education courses.
- Pass the Praxis Core for Educators Series 5751
- The PRAXIS II - Subject Field exam must be passed before entering EDUC 4190. (effective Fall 2008)
- Candidates must have a 3.0 GPA in their education courses in order to student teach.
Course Requirements: 30 Credits (This is a four semester program)
|You must maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA throughout the program to be recommended for certification.|
|CIED 2030||Teaching as a Profession (Contains unsupervised 20 hour experience)||3|
|CIRL 3350||Literacy, Technology and Instruction (Contains supervised 20 hour field experience)||3|
|CISE 2950||Educational Psychology and Classroom Management||3|
|CISE 3250||Teaching as Learning*+||2|
|CISE 3350||Working Within Schools: Schools as Institutions and Communities *||2|
|CISE 3520||Practicum Internship*||2|
|Plus ONE of the following courses based on subject field major*:|
|CISE 4110||Methods of Teaching Secondary Social Studies||3|
|CISE 4120||Methods of Teaching Secondary English/Language Arts||3|
|CISE 4130||Methods of Teaching Secondary Math||3|
|CISE 4140||Methods of Teaching Secondary Creative Arts, K-12||3|
|CISE 4170||Methods of Teaching Secondary Science||3|
|CISE 4190||Methods of Teaching a Second Language in
Elementary and Secondary School
|EDUC 4190||Student Teaching Internship||10|
|CISE 4500||Reckoning with the Past and Preparing for a Future in Education||2|
- Complete program requirements successfully.
- A cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.00 scale.
- Undergraduate Review FILL IN