Department of Secondary and Middle School Education
Undergraduate Major in Secondary Education (K-12)
(effective Fall 2008)
K-12 Subject Field Specialization is a 30-credit major that qualifies students to become eligible for certification as a teacher for specific content areas on the middle and secondary school levels. This major uses students' subject area specialization as a framework for learning about methods and materials for teaching a specific content area in middle/junior high and high school. Field-based experiences are an integral part of this program so that students can apply learning from coursework to content area classrooms.
Dr. Djanna Hill, Program Coordinator
Steps to Acceptance and Continuation in the Undergraduate Major in Secondary Education, K-12
- Students must have an additional major in an appropriate liberal arts or science major as indicated by the state.
- Enroll in or successfully pass ANTH 202 - earning at least a C.
- Attend an orientation meeting and follow the in Declaring Education as a Major direction, pass the Writing Assessment and complete the Speech and Hearing Assessment (X3685).
- Complete PSY 110 successfully - earning at least a C
- Obtain a NJ Substitute Teaching Licence, after 60 credits.
- The PRAXIS exam must be passed before entering EDUC 419. (effective Fall 2008)
- Candidates must have a 3.0 GPA in their education courses in order to student teach.
Course Requirements: 30 Credits (This is a four semester program)
|You must maintain a 2.75 cumulative GPA throughout the program to be recommended for certification.|
|CIED 2030||Teaching as a Profession (Contains unsupervised 20 hour experience)||3|
|CIRL 3350||Literacy, Technology and Instruction (Contains supervised 20 hour field experience)||3|
|CISE 2950||Educational Psychology and Classroom Management||3|
|CISE 3250||Teaching as Learning*+||2|
|CISE 3350||Working Within Schools: Schools as Institutions and Communities *||2|
|CISE 3520||Practicum Internship*||2|
|Plus ONE of the following courses based on subject field major*:|
|CISE 4110||Methods of Teaching Secondary Social Studies||3|
|CISE 4120||Methods of Teaching Secondary English/Language Arts||3|
|CISE 4130||Methods of Teaching Secondary Math||3|
|CISE 4140||Methods of Teaching Secondary Creative Arts, K-12||3|
|CISE 4170||Methods of Teaching Secondary Science||3|
|CISE 4190||Methods of Teaching a Second Language in Elementary and Secondary School||3|
|EDUC 4190||Student Teaching Internship||10|
|CISE 4500||Reckoning with the Past and Preparing for a Future in Education||2|
- Complete program requirements successfully.
- A cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 2.75 on a 4.00 scale.
- Undergraduate Review FILL IN