Department of Elementary and Early Childhood Education
Master's of Arts in Teaching, Elementary Education Certification (K-5)
For a list of FAQs on the Post Bac program visit:
Post Baccalaureate Initial (K-5) Elementary Education Certification Program
Program Director: Dr. Julie Rosenthal
- Bachelor's degree from an accepted college or university.
- Undergraduate minimum cumulative G. P.A. of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale.
- Completion of appropriate academic major in liberal arts or science or a minimum of 60 credits of liberal arts.
- Two letters of recommendation from an education, professional or business source.
- An essay that requires the candidate to describe her/his reasons for wishing to complete the program.
- An interview with the Program Director.
Requirements to be met prior to Student Teaching (may be met by graduate or undergraduate courses or courses from undergraduate transcript)
- Completion of a course in developmental or child psychology).
- Completion of physiology and hygiene requirement.
- You must maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA throughout the program
- A passing score on the PRAXIS II in Elementary Education Multiple Subjects (5031)**
Course Requirements: suggested sequence, Phase I, teacher certification; 30 Credits
- Complete program requirements successfully.
- Maintain B or better average
* These courses should be taken concurrently
+These courses require prior application through the Office of Field Experiences and must be taken in sequence. Applications must be submitted one year in advance. Apply every Fall (October 15) for placement the next Fall and every Spring (March 15) for placement the next Spring. For additional information please contact the Office of Field Experiences 973-720-3132 or 2109.
**The Praxis II for Elementary Content Knowledge required for certification in New Jersey as of September 1, 2012 is #5031, Elementary Content Knowledge, Multiple Subjects Test. Passing the appropriate Praxis II is required before you can student teach.