For a list of FAQs on the MAT program visit:
Post Baccalaureate Initial (K-6) Elementary Education Certification Program
Program Director: Dr. Julie Rosenthal
- Bachelor's degree from an accepted college or university.
- Undergraduate minimum cumulative G.P.A. of 3.0 on a 4.0
- Passing score on the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (series 5751)
- Passing score(s) on the appropriate Praxis Subject Assessments (formerly the Praxis II) Exam(s)
- Completion of an appropriate academic major in liberal arts or science or a minimum of 60 credits in liberal arts
- Two letters of recommendation from educational, professional or business sources.
- An essay that requires the candidate to describe her/his reasons for wishing to complete the program.
- An interview with the Program Director.
Requirements Prior to Student Teaching
- A course in developmental or child psychology.
- Completion of physiology and hygiene requirement.
- Completion of a course in Adolescent Psychology
Course Requirements: suggested sequence, Phase I, teacher certification; 30 Credits
- Complete program requirements successfully.
- Maintain B or better average
* These courses should be taken concurrently
+These courses require prior application through the Office of Field Experiences and must be taken in sequence. Applications must be submitted one year in advance. Apply every Fall (October 15) for placement the next Fall and every Spring (March 15) for placement the next Spring. For additional information please contact the Office of Field Experiences 973-720-3132 or 2109.
**The Praxis Subject Assessment for Elementary Content Knowledge required for certification in New Jersey as of September 1, 2014 is #5001, Elementary Content Knowledge, Multiple Subjects Test. Passing the appropriate Praxis Subject Assessment is required before you can student teach. Official scores must be received by August 1 for Fall student teaching and January 1 for Spring student teaching.