Office of Educational Enrollment and Certification
Undergraduate Students Enrollment Information
- Declaring Education as a Major
- Appropriate Academic Majors
- Undergraduate Catalog
- Mandatory Matriculation Assessments
The College of Education requires all undergraduate education students to complete three assessments (speech, hearing and writing) as required under the State of New Jersey Licensing Code.
- Speech and Hearing Assessment
You must register online at: https://webapps.wpunj.edu/students/speech_hearing/. Please report to the Speech and hearing clinic in Hunziker Wing 7C for your speech and hearing assessment on the day and time of your appointment. You cannot change or reschedule your appointment once you have registered online. Cancellations are accepted only in the event of an emergency: 973-720-2139.
- Writing Assessment
On the date of assessment be sure to bring your college identification card and several pens/pencils. The assessment will take approximately forty-five minutes to complete. You will be informed in a letter before the end of the semester if you were unsuccessful on your writing assessment and what steps must be taken. As future classroom teachers, you must be able to model effective written and oral communication at all times. The writing assessment is used to ensure that you have adequate command of written English. You must complete the writing assessment prior to 60 credits. You do not have to sign up for this assessment. Should you need more information, please contact the department of Education Enrollment and Certification at 973-720-2139.
The new Valley Road Writing Center is open!
Please follow the above link for important praxis test information.
IMPORTANT PRAXIS UPDATES
NEW! PRAXIS II CHANGES AS OF 9/1/2013
PRAXIS II State Requirement Changes:
The New Jersey Department of Education has announced several new PRAXIS II exams effective SEPTEMBER 1, 2013 (see below).
Candidates who have taken and passed the previous Praxis II for any of the areas listed below, prior to September 1, 2013, will be able to use those scores for licensure and do NOT need to take the new exams.
CANDIDATES WHO HAVE NOT TAKEN THE CURRENT PRAXIS II TEST for these particular areas, PRIOR TO SEPTEMBER 1, 2013, WILL BE REQUIRED TO PASS THE NEW EXAM AND ADHERE TO THE NEW PASSING GUIDELINES- NO EXCEPTIONS! PASSING REQUIRED PRAXIS TEST(S) SCORES MUST BE OBTAINED TO STUDENT TEACH."
New Praxis Test Information (Effective September 1, 2013) Praxis Test Test Code New Passing Score:
Middle School Mathematics 5169 qualifying score 165
The information in the chart above is derived from an attachment on the NJ Department of Education’s Office of Licensure and Credential (homepage item: Amendments to the Licensure Code Effective July 2, 2013)
Application for Certification:
- Applications are available on line on the New Jersey Licensure and Praxis Information Page.
- Completed applications are to be returned to the Office of Certification during the final semester in program.
- Submission deadlines are as follows: Fall - October 1; Spring - March 1; Summer - June 1.
- All applications must be notarized prior to submitting to the Office.
- If your certification area requires a Praxis II exam, please submit your application regardless of your achievement on the examination
- The State will not issue a license to teach without completing a teacher education program, passing the necessary Praxis II exam(s) (if required for your area), a bachelor's degree and a major appropriate to the area of certification.
|Letters of Program Completion|
Letters of Completion and/or Recommendations for Certification will not be submitted until:
Practicum and Student Teaching
Do not forget to apply for practicum and student teaching through the Office of Field Experiences -- applications must be submitted one year in advance.
DO NOT FORGET TO apply for graduation
Submission deadlines are as follows: January graduation - October 1; May graduation - February 1; August graduation - June 1
The William Paterson Writing Center has a multitude of resources available to assist with grammar, writing assistance for ESL students, and writing exercises. For further information please click here: