Office of Education Enrollment and Certification
Undergraduate Students Enrollment Information
- Declaring Education as a Major
- Appropriate Academic Majors
- Undergraduate Catalog
- Mandatory Matriculation Assessments
The College of Education requires all undergraduate education students to complete three assessments (speech, hearing and writing) as required under the State of New Jersey Licensing Code.
- Speech and Hearing Assessment
You must register online at: https://webapps.wpunj.edu/students/speech_hearing/. Please report to the Speech and hearing clinic in Hunziker Wing 7C for your speech and hearing assessment on the day and time of your appointment. You cannot change or reschedule your appointment once you have registered online. Cancellations are accepted only in the event of an emergency: 973-720-2139.
- Writing Assessment
On the date of assessment be sure to bring your college identification card and several pens/pencils. The assessment will take approximately forty-five minutes to complete. You will be informed in a letter before the end of the semester if you were unsuccessful on your writing assessment and what steps must be taken. As future classroom teachers, you must be able to model effective written and oral communication at all times. The writing assessment is used to ensure that you have adequate command of written English. You must complete the writing assessment prior to 60 credits. You do not have to sign up for this assessment. Should you need more information, please contact the department of Education Enrollment and Certification at 973-720-2139.
Please follow the above link for important praxis test information.
|The Praxis II for Elementary Content Knowledge required for certification in New Jerseyas of September 1, 2012 is #5031, Elementary Content Knowledge, Multiple Subjects Test. Passing the appropriate Praxis II is required before you can student teach. It is advised to take the Praxis II exam as soon as your GE or UCC courses are completed so the content information is still freshest. Also, taking it early in your education sequence of courses gives you an opportunity to retake the whole test or any of the four sections if you do not pass.
If you passed the previously approved test before September 1, 2012, you do not need to take the new exam. However, NewJersey is notaccepting scores on the old test for those who take Praxis II after September 1, 2012. The link below has the schedule for upcoming tests. It shows that both the old and the new (5031) are available for registration at Educational Testing Services (ETS). Be careful to register for the #5031 test.
Application for Certification:
- Applications are available on line on the New Jersey Licensure and Praxis Information Page.
- Completed applications are to be returned to the Office of Certification during the final semester in program.
- Submission deadlines are as follows: Fall - October 1; Spring - March 1; Summer - June 1.
- All applications must be notarized prior to submitting to the Office.
- If your certification area requires a Praxis II exam, please submit your application regardless of your achievement on the examination
- The State will not issue a license to teach without completing a teacher education program, passing the necessary Praxis II exam(s) (if required for your area), a bachelor's degree and a major appropriate to the area of certification.
|Letters of Program Completion|
Letters of Completion and/or Recommendations for Certification will not be submitted until:
Practicum and Student Teaching
Do not forget to apply for practicum and student teaching through the Office of Field Experiences -- applications must be submitted one year in advance.
DO NOT FORGET TO apply for graduation
Submission deadlines are as follows: January graduation - October 1; May graduation - February 1; August graduation - June 1