Requirements for Admission to the Music Management Concentration
- A bachelor's degree in music from an accredited college or university.
- An undergraduate GPA of at least 2.75.
- Two written letters of recommendation.
- A satisfactory score on the Graduate Record Exam with a minimum of 450 verbal.
- An in-person performance audition is required of applicants who have NOT successfully completed an undergraduate degree in music; an audition is NOT required of applicants who have completed an undergraduate degree in music:
Classical Performers: All applicants must prepare a minimum of three moderate to advanced level works of differing style periods taken from the standard art music repertoire. These should demonstrate the performer's technical skills and musicianship. At least one selection from the contemporary period must be included. Applicants will be expected to sight-read at the audition. Special considerations:
- Voice - all works must be memorized; at least two selections must be performed in a foreign language.
- Piano - all works must be memorized.
- Percussion - applicant must demonstrate ability on snare drum, timpani, and on a mallet instrument.
Jazz Performers: The recorded performance should demonstrate ability to play within a group and strengths as a soloist. Perform a minimum of three tunes:
- One up-tempo tune such as "Cherokee," "Ornithology," "It Could Happen To You," "Just Friends" or a similar selection;
- One ballad such as "Body and Soul," "In A Sentimental Mood," "I Can't Get Started" or a similar selection;
- One medium tempo such as "All the Things You Are," "Out of Nowhere," "Have You Met Miss Jones?" or a similar selection.
- At least one chorus within the presentation of each tune should be performed unaccompanied.
Special Audition Notes for Jazz Performers
- Piano, guitar, and mallet instruments: Performance should demonstrate ability to comp as well as to solo. One of the required selections must be performed unaccompa-nied.
- Drum set: Performance should demonstrate ability to use brushes as well as sticks. Play through the head of the up-tune unaccom-panied, outlining rhythmic structure of the melody.
- Bass: Performance should demonstrate ability to construct a walking bass line and should showcase strengths as an impro-viser. Acoustic bassists should demonstrate use of the bow.
- Vocalists: If currently studying voice, include sample of vocalization at the beginning of tape. Performance should demonstrate ability to scat as well as understanding of the lyric.
Music Management Concentration Requirements
- Completion of the 36-credit degree course requirements.
- Satisfactory completion of a comprehensive examination, which carries no course credit and is required of all students.
- An internship or a final project.