Music Department Admissions - Graduate: Music Management
Requirements for Admission to the Music Management Concentration
The admission requirements on this page are for the Master of Music with concentration in Music Management.
Please see Apply Now! for All Graduate Degrees for instructions on applying to the university and the department of music.
Admission to the Master of Music with concentration in Music Management at William Paterson University requires the following:
- An undergraduate GPA of at least 2.75.
- Two written recommendations.
- A satisfactory score on the Graduate Record Exam with a minimum of 150 verbal.
- A bachelor's degree in music from an accredited college or university OR an audition that demonstrates either excellence in classical music performance (in-person audition) or jazz performance (audio-recorded audition).
Classical Performers: All applicants must prepare a minimum of three moderate to advanced level works of differing style periods taken from the standard art music repertoire. These should demonstrate the performer's technical skills and musicianship. At least one selection from the contemporary period must be included. Applicants will be expected to sight-read at the audition. Special considerations:
- Voice - all works must be memorized; at least two selections must be performed in a foreign language.
- Piano - all works must be memorized.
- Percussion - applicant must demonstrate ability on snare drum, timpani, and on a mallet instrument.
Jazz Performers: The recorded performance should demonstrate ability to play within a group and strengths as a soloist. Perform a minimum of three tunes:
- One up-tempo tune such as "Cherokee," "Ornithology," "It Could Happen To You," "Just Friends" or a similar selection;
- One ballad such as "Body and Soul," "In A Sentimental Mood," "I Can't Get Started" or a similar selection;
- One medium tempo such as "All the Things You Are," "Out of Nowhere," "Have You Met Miss Jones?" or a similar selection.
- At least one chorus within the presentation of each tune should be performed unaccompanied.
Special Audition Notes for Jazz Performers
- Piano, guitar, and mallet instruments: Performance should demonstrate ability to comp as well as to solo. One of the required selections must be performed unaccompa-nied.
- Drum set: Performance should demonstrate ability to use brushes as well as sticks. Play through the head of the up-tune unaccom-panied, outlining rhythmic structure of the melody.
- Bass: Performance should demonstrate ability to construct a walking bass line and should showcase strengths as an impro-viser. Acoustic bassists should demonstrate use of the bow.
- Vocalists: If currently studying voice, include sample of vocalization at the beginning of tape. Performance should demonstrate ability to scat as well as understanding of the lyric.