Requirements for Admission to the Music Education Concentration
The admission requirements on this page are for the Master of Music with concentration in Music Education.
Please see Apply Now! for All Graduate Degrees for instructions on applying to the university and the department of music.
Admission to the Master of Music with concentration in Music Education at William Paterson University requires the following:
1. A bachelor's degree in music from an accredited college or university.
2. An undergraduate GPA of at least 2.75.
3. Two letters of recommendation must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. An audition that demonstrates either excellence in music performance (live audition) or excellence in music teaching (video-recorded audition).
The candidate who wishes to focus on applied performance must present a live audition on campus with a program including a minimum of three moderate to advanced level works of differing style periods taken from the standard art music repertoire. These should demonstrate the performer’s technical skills and musicianship. At least one selection from the contemporary period must be included. Applicants are expected to sight-read at the audition. Special considerations are:
- Voice - all works must be memorized; at least two selections must be performed in a foreign language.
- Piano - all works must be memorized.
- Percussion - applicant must demonstrate ability on snare drum, timpani, and on a mallet instrument.
The candidate who wishes to focus on pedagogy or conducting must upload a recent video recording of teaching episodes that demonstrate their teaching ability and musicianship. At least one episode should show the applicant using his or her primary instrument or voice to model for students. Students wishing to study conducting should include a front view of themselves conducting an ensemble for a minimum of 10 minutes. While there are no specific literature requirements for the conducting audition, selections should include at least two pieces in contrasting styles. The entire recording should not be longer than 30 minutes.