Office: Hobart Hall, Rm 208
Position: Assistant Professor
Area Specialization: Television Production/Documentary Production, Directing and Producing
Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, NJ
School of Communication and Information - Ph.D
- Media Studies with an emphasis in social networking, video sharing and communication technologies
- Dissertation Title: Power and Surveillance in YouTube’s Digital Neighborhood: A Case Study of College Students in the Bronx.
CUNY, Brooklyn College
Brooklyn College, Brooklyn, NY
M.S. in Broadcast Programming, Management and Television Production
University of Arizona
- Bachelor of Fine Arts: Media Arts
- Assistant Professor: William Paterson University
Area of Specialization: Television Production/Documentary Production
Directing and Producing
Research Interests: Video Sharing, SNS and Social Media, Power & Surveillance in online environments
- Full-time faculty: CUNY, Bronx Community College Fall, 2002–2012
- Adjunct Faculty: William Paterson University 2011
Research Methods in Mass Communication
- Invited Lecturer: Tzu Chi University, Hualien, Taiwan January, 2010
PROFESSIONAL MEDIA PRODUCTION EXPERIENCE
- President and Founder: Red Barn Pictures 2001 - present
Specializing in digital documentary production. Produce, direct, write and edit.
- Associate Producer/Production Associate Duties 2000 - 2001
ABC News 20/20, New York, NY
Associate Producer for 20/20 on two episodes of "Nine Weeks of Hell." Handled all production materials, edited promos, and managed all day-of- air activities for each episode.
Saks Fifth Ave, New York, NY 1998 – 2000
Created and Produced "The Source," SFA’s in-house Monthly news magazine broadcast; developed and promoted this show’s unique brand identity. Generated story ideas and wrote, produced, and directed each broadcast. Wrote and produced video news releases (VNR’s) and fashion videos. Directed live, corporate communication broadcasts to SFA stores around the country. Award-winning Producer.
Film and Television Lab Supervisor 1996 - 1998
College of Staten Island, Staten Island, NY
Produced and edited a 20-minute documentary for Black History month called A Journey Through Time on the Baltimore Great Blacks in Wax Museum
Managed College of Staten Island TV Studio, including equipment purchases, staff supervision, and implemented the College’s first in-house television broadcast weekly news magazine show, including camera, graphics, audio and floor manager.
- Freelance Producer/Writer 1994 - 1996
Directed, produced and edited for CVC Communications and Commorato Video. Produced and wrote a five-part instruction series for the Evenflo Corporation on the proper installation and use of their child safety seats.
- Senior Television Producer/Director 1993 - 1994
Biomedical Communications, Arizona Health Sciences
Center, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
Wrote, Directed and Produced a variety of health-related programs. Directed live teleconferences broadcast throughout the nation.
- Corporate Television Producer
America West Airlines, Phoenix, Arizona 1991 - 1992
Wrote, Directed and Produced a variety of image, training, and employee training videos for this international corporation.
- Paper Tiger: Love, War, History. New York, NY – this feature- 2011 length documentary script is complete and is in post-production. Directed, shot, and co-wrote and produced this film.
- Creature Feature: 50 Years of the Gill-Man, New York, NY – 2003 produced and directed this film on the history of the film
Creature of the Black Lagoon and the fandom surrounding its sequels.
- The Face of Freedom, Queens, NY – produced, directed, shot, 2000 and wrote this short documentary film on the history of Fort Totten, in Queens, NY.
- Fanex, Baltimore, MD –screened the documentary film feature Fall, 2005
Creature Feature: 50 Years of the Gill-Man.
- Monster Bash Film Festival, Butler, PA –screened the Summer, 2005
Documentary film feature Creature Feature: 50 Years of the Gill-Man.
- Tribeca Screening Room, NY, NY—screened the documentary Fall, 2004
film feature Creature Feature: 50 Years of the Gill-Man.
- Sunset Screening Room, LA, CA—screened the documentary Spring, 2003
film feature Creature Feature: 50 Years of the Gill-Man.
- Bayside Historical Society, Queens, NY—screened the Spring, 2000
Documentary short Fort Totten: The Face of Freedom.
PRESENTATIONS AND CONFERENCES
- Invited and presented in the Making Transfer Connections 2011
conference at LaGuardia Community College. ePortfolio and PowerPoint presentation illustrating the incorporation of General Education principles into an ePortfolio enriched course.
- Documentary Filmmaking in the United States, Hualien, Taiwan 2010 participated in a panel discussion on the trends, techniques,
and challenges in making documentary films in the United States
- Images of War: Nonverbal Communication in the Iraq War 2005
Trenton, NJ – presented on a New Jersey Communication Association panel of faculty from around the tri-state area on unique pedagogical techniques and assignments
MEMBERSHIPS (including past affiliations)
- New Jersey Communication Association 2011 – present
- University and Film and Video Association 2007 – present
- Independent Feature Project, New York 2006
- Downtown Community Television Center, New York 2006
- Museum of the Moving Image 2006
- Association of Independent Video and Filmmakers 2002
- National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences 2001 - present
- National Communication Association 1999 - 2007
- Judge, NY Film Festivals 1998
- ITVA, Panel Host Awards 1996
- Media Communication Association 1995 - 2000
- ITVA, Indianapolis Chapter, Promotions Chair 1995
- President, American Marketing Association, Fort Wayne Chapter 1994
GRANTS AND AWARDS
$500 Faculty Scholarship Support grant from the BCC Foundation 2010
to present in Taiwan on U.S. documentary filmmaking.
Telly Awards: Winner of two Telly Awards for writing, directing, 2009
and producing a 2:45 trailer for the film Creature Feature:
50 Years of the Gill-Man, which I shot and directed.
National Archives, Washington, D.C. Fort Totten: the Face of Freedom. 2006
$500 President’s Faculty and Staff Development Grant 2004
provided funds for a remote seminar at ABC 7 in Manhattan
and introduced BCC students in the Media Technology program to
various aspects of television network news.
First place Crystal Award of Excellence for 1999
Best Corporate News Magazine Show at Saks Fifth Ave, NYC
Certificate of Creative Excellence at the U.S. International 1996
Film and Video Festival, Wabash: Indiana’s Best Kept Secret.
First place Oasis Award for Best Documentary, Tucson 1992
Community Cable Corporation, The Tucson Public Market
National Academy of Arts and Sciences Rocky Mountain 1992
Emmy Nominee, The Tucson Public Market.