Visual Resources Association
VRA is a nonprofit organization established to further research and education in the field of visual resources and to promote a spirit of cooperation among the members of the profession.
ARTstor is a digital library of approximately 750,000 images in the areas of art, architecture, the humanities, and social sciences with a set of tools to view, present, and manage images for research and pedagogical purposes.
First time users need to login via the Cheng Library web-site: http://www.wpunj.edu/library/erclist.shtml
Art.sy database, an online Art Genome Project
Art.sy uses an automated guide for art lovers seeking discoveries online. It behaves similar to that of the music algorithm guide of Pandora that introduces surprising new artists based on what you already like. Art.sy will make similar suggestions for you to seek of the same style or genre of art that may of be interest to you.
Art.sy offers an extensive free repository of fine-art images that currently represents 275 galleries and 50 museums and institutions as partners. The collection has digitized 20,000 images into its reference system, which it calls the Art Genome Project. But as it extends the platform’s reach, Art.sy also raises questions about how (or if) digital analytics should be applied to visual art. Can algorithms help explain art?
Art.sy aims to make connections among artworks that are seemingly from different worlds, with a catalog that encompasses pieces from the British Museum, the National Gallery in Washington, the Los Angeles Museum of Contemporary Art, Cooper-Hewitt and others. To explore this engaging database go to http://art.sy/
Additional Scholarly Art Image and Video Resources
- Wadsworth Atheneum Matrix Series http://www.wadsworthatheneum.org/view/MATRIX.php
- Artforum and e-flux launch of the Art & Education Papers archive, a new global platform for sharing and distributing research and knowledge in the field of contemporary art. http://www.artandeducation.net/papers
- Art Daily http://www.artdaily.com/index.asp
- http://newsgrist.typepad.com/ Art-zines& blogs & galleries, etc.
- http://www.artbabble.org/ Consortium of Museums; Art videos.
- http://www.brooklynrail.org/ Brooklyn Rail.
- http://www.bluffton.edu/womenartists/contents.html Whitney Chadwick, Women, Art, & Society.
- http://www.theartnewspaper.com/ Art & art history info.
- UbuWeb: Film & Video: http://www.ubu.com/film/
- Readings for Modernism: http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/modsbook.html
- The Art Institute of Chicago http://www.artic.edu/, launched Pathfinder http://www.artic.edu/pathfinder/php/pathfinder.php, the museum's new interactive floor plan and virtual gallery tour system on its website. The first art museum in the world to dynamically combine its floor plan with fully up-to-date high-definition and panoramic views of its galleries, the Art Institute now offers web surfers and visitors planning a trip to the museum a completely unique experience of thegalleries. http://www.artic.edu/pathfinder/php/pathfinder.php
- 1969: A look at the music, movies and events that seemed to sum up the chaos,creativity, violence and hopefulness of the decade. Interactive Timeline http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/arts/20090717-1969-feature/?hp
- As traditional photography processes are passing into history, George Eastman House International Museum of Photography and Film http://www.eastmanhouse.org/ and the Image Permanence Institute http://legacyofphotography.org/ (IPI) at Rochester Institute of Technology are launching a Center for the Legacy of Photography. The Center, made possible by a generous $2 million grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, will focus on collecting and sharing knowledge aboutphotographic materials of the 19th and 20th centuries. http://legacyofphotography.org/
- Contemporary Art: http://witcombe.sbc.edu/ARTHcontemporary.html#21century
Instruction and Research Technology
Please contact IRT for the digitization of images that fall outside the VRC Image Request policy.