Financial Resources for International Study/Work Experience
David L. Boren Scholarship http://www.iie.org (Boren Scholarship link)
- National Security Education program (NSEP) David L. Boren Undergraduate Scholarships
- Offers Undergraduates the resources to study the language and culture of a non-western country
- Intern for the federal department of your choice
Fulbright Scholarship http://www.iie.org (Fulbright scholarship link)
- For study, research, or teaching abroad
- Applications are to ONE specific country
- if more than one semester of study in a country, don't apply to that country
- Funds awarded
Marshall Scholarship http://www.marshallscholarship.org
- Marshall Scholarships "finance young Americans of high ability to study for a degree in the U.K."
- For study at any UK university, including the "Big Three"
- Need a 3.7 GPA minimum to apply
The George J. Mitchell Scholarship http://www.us-irelandalliance.org/scholarship.html
- Scholarship for study in Ireland
- NOT for "Irish Studies"
- Competitive - modeled as the "Marshall Scholarship to Ireland"
Rhodes Scholarship http://www.rhodesscholar.org/
- For study at Oxford University, UK
- Super competitive
- Must have impressive grades and leadership experience
Thomas J. Watson Fellowship http://www.watsonfellowship.org/
- A one-year grant for travel and study outside the US
- Must be a student at one of the 50 participating institutions
- Free-formed, non-study proposals
Financial Aids Search Engines
- IIE Passport Study Abroad Funding: http://www.studyabroadfunding.org
- IEIEFA (International Education Financial Aid) http://www.iefa.org/
- IEFC (International Education Finance Corporation): http://www/iefc.org
Paid International Internships and Work opportunities
- Carl Duisberg Society (CDS): http://www.cdsintl.org
- Directory of International Internships (MSU): http://www.isp.msu.edu
- Idealist - Action without Borders: http://www.idealist.org
- International Internships, Jobs, Volunteer Opportunities: http://www.internabroad.com
- University of Michigan Work Abroad: http://www.umich.edu/~icenter/overseas/work/waoverweb.html
Alternative Sources of Funding
- Finding Funders: http://www.fdncenter.org/funders
- The Grantsmanship Center: http://www/grantdomain.com
International Funding Sources
- The Annenberg Foundation: http://www.whannenberg.org
- The Annie e. Casey Foundation: http://www.aecf.org
- The Ford Foundation: http://www.fordfound.org
- The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation: http://www.rwjf.org/index.jsp
- W.K. Kellogg Foundation: http://www.wkkf.org
- MacArthur Foundation: http://www.macfdn.org
- The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation: http://www.mellon.org
- Charles Stewart Mott Foundation: http://www.mott.org
- The David and Lucile Packard Foundation: http://www.packfound.org
- The Pew Charitable Trusts: http://www.rwjf.org/index.jsp
- The Rockefeller Foundation: http://www.rockfound.org
- The Starr Foundation: http://fdncenter.org/grantmaker/starr
- The Robert W. Woodruff Foundation: http://www.woodruff.org
- Rotary International Foundation: http://www.rotary.org
- Federal Student Aid: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov
Graduate School Search Engines
- Association of Professional Schools in International Affairs: http://www.apsia.org
- Comparative and International Education Society: http://www.cies.ws
- GradSchools.com: http://www.gradschools.com
- International Graduate Programs: http://www/gradschools.com/international-programs.html
- National Association of Student Personnel Administrators: http://www.naspa.org/gradprep/index.cfm
- Peterson's Higher Ed Guides: http://www.petersons.com/graduate/gsector.html
- SIT graduate programs: http://www.sit.edu/degree.html
- Lesley graduate programs: http://www.lesley.edu/gsass/irpstudents.html
- International Graduate: http://www.internationalgraduate.net
Benjamin A Gilman International Scholarship
The Gilman International Scholarship Program offers scholarships for U.S. citizen undergraduate students of limited financial means to pursue academic studies abroad.
Named after retired Congressman Benjamin A. Gilman, NY, the program's goal is to diversify the kinds of studetns who study abroad and the countries and regions where they go. Specifically, the Gilman Program offers scholarships for students who have been traditionally underrepresented in education abroad.
Award recipients receive up to $5,000 to apply toward study abroad program costs, including program fees, tuition, room and broad, airfare, books and local transportation.
Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen undergraduate student at a 2 or 4 year institution in the United States.
- Applicant must be receiving a Federal Pell Grant at the time of application or during the term of study abroad.
- Applicat must be applying to a study abroad proram eligible for credit at the student's institution of higher education in the U.S.
- Applicat must be studying abroad for a mimimum of 4 weeks in one country.
- Study abroad program does not take place in Cuba or a country on the U.S. Department of State's Travel Warning list.
- Study abroad program takes place in a fall, spring or academic intercessions. Summer only programs are not eligible.
Critical Need Language Supplement
Students studying critical need languages are automatically considered for the Gilman Critical Need Language Supplement, which provides Gilman recipients with an additional $3,000 for a total possible award of up to $8,000.
Critical Need Languages include:
- Indic Languages
- Persian Languages
- Turkic Languages
The Gilman Program Strongly Encourages Applications From
- Students from diverse ethnic backgrounds
- Students going to non-traditional study abroad destinations
- Students attending community colleges
- Students with disabilities
- Students in fields of study underrepresented in study abroad
- Complete the online application at www.iie.org/gilman.
- Contact your Financial Aid and Study Abroad advisors at your home institution to notify them you are applying for the Gilman Scholarship.
- Send 3 copies of your transcripts from your current institution and any previous institution indicated on your application.
For study abroad during Fall & Academic Year complete online application by April. For study abroad during Spring complete online application by October. http://www.nasfaa.org/publications/2010/awgilman081910.html
Gilman Internation Scholarship Program
Institute of International Education
1800 West Loop South, Suite 250
Houston, Texas 77027
Students:1-888-887-5939 ext. 25
Advisors:1-888-887-5939 ext. 16