Dr. Elizabeth Ekmekjian
Office: VRB 4063
Office Hours: by appointment
Department: Accounting and Law
Area Specialization: Tax, law, accounting and professional enrichment of business students. Currently, I have focused on the continuing saga of multiple state taxation of professional athletes and the CCOB professional enrichment program.
LL.M. in Taxation, New York University of Law, 1998
JD, Seton Hall Law School, 1994
BA, Accounting and Business Management, Upsala College, 1984
- Member of New Jersey State Bar
- Member of New York State Bar
- Certified Public Accountant - New Jersey
Primary Research Interests:
- My research interests lie in the areas of tax, law, accounting and professional enrichment of business students. Currently, I have focused on the continuing saga of multiple state taxation of professional athletes and the CCOB professional enrichment program.
- "CSI Accounting: A New Trend in Educational Training," Journal of College Teaching & Learning , Vol. 5, No. 1, Jan. 2008
- "Behind the Scenes: The 5 ‘W’s’ of Administering a College of Business Professional Enrichment Program," Journal of Business Case Studies, Vol. 4, No. 3, Mar. 2008
- "Poverty in the USA: Continuing and Growing Problem" (co-author: WPU Faculty - Berch Haroian), Journal of Business & Economics Research, Vol. 5, No. 12, Dec. 2007
- "Our 25+ Year Journey to AACSB Accreditation" (co-authors: WPU Faculty - Robert Bing, Berch Haroian, and Martin Rudnick), Journal of College Teaching & Learning, Vol. 3, No.4, Apr. 2006
- "Tax Fraud in the 21 st Century" (co-author: Vicki Duane, Internal Revenue Service Criminal Investigation), TaxPro Journal, Summer 2005
- "Social Security: Personal Investment Accounts" (co-authors: WPU Faculty - Tricia Snyder and Berch Haroian), Journal of Business & Economics Research, Vol. 4, No. 10, Oct. 2006
- "Professional Enrichment and Experiential Learning for Business Students" (co-author: WPU Faculty - Virginia Taylor), Journal of Business & Economics Research, Vol. 1, No. 8, Aug. 2004
- "From One Rookie to Another: A Beginner’s Guide to Technology in the Classroom," Proceeding of the International Business & Economics Research Conference and Teaching & Learning Conference, June 2007
- "The Joy of Teaching Future Accountants" (co-authors: WPU Faculty - Robert Bing and Martin Rudnick), Proceeding of the European College Teaching & Learning Conference, June 2005
- (2004)"The Jock Tax Contest: Professional Athletes vs. the States" (co-authors: William Paterson University (WPU) Faculty - Robert Bing, James Wilkerson), Journal of Applied Business Research - Vol. 20, No. 2, Spring 2004
- (2004) "Professional Enrichment and Experiential Learning for Business Students" (co-author: WPU Faculty - Virginia Taylor), Journal of Business & Economics Research - Vol. 1, No. 8, August 2004; Best Paper Award - 2003 International Business & Economics Research Conference
Representative Industrial Work/Consulting Experience:
- ELIZABETH C. EKMEKJIAN, CPA, New Jersey 1987 to Present, provide legal, tax, and management consulting services including transactional matters, contracts, regulatory and corporate matters, real estate, litigation, collection services, tax preparation and small business management.
- WESTERN UNION, Paramus, New Jersey 1989 - 1996
- Assistant Counsel, 1994 - 1996
- Legal Assistant, 1993-1994, responsibilities included contracts, U.S. and international trademarks; regulatory affairs; sales and purchase agreements; bankruptcy; litigation; incorporation, qualification, registration, dissolution of corporate entities.
- Financial Analyst, 1991 - 1993, responsible for accumulating and analyzing financial data; involved in development stages of new products including contractual analysis; responsible for operational budgets.
- Senior Auditor, 1989 - 1991, responsible for supervision of financial and operational audit engagements and staff development; reviewed acquisition and sales agreements; analyzed and evaluated internal control systems; reported results.
- THE TIMES MIRROR COMPANY, Hackensack, New Jersey 1987 - 1989, Corporate Auditor, planned and performed financial and operational audits; performed analytical reviews of financial statements; prepared audit reports.
- STEPHEN P. RADICS AND CO., Haledon, New Jersey 1986 - 1987, Accountant, performed personal and corporate tax work; audits, reviews and compilations.
- ACCT 410/FIN 410 - TAXATION I
- ACCT 411/FIN 411 - TAXATION II
- ACCT 740 - REGUALTION: FEDERAL TAXATION
SET YOUR GOALS HIGH; GO AND GET WHAT YOU WANT!