Keep it simple and specific. Match your skills with the job description.
To obtain a marketing assistant position at MWW Group that utilizes social media and interpersonal communication skills.
To obtain an editorial assistant position at ABC Publishing that utilizes strong writing and technological skills.
For career fairs, where an Objective Statement should be more generalized, you can use the following approach:
To obtain an internship/ full-time position in the __________ field.
Instead of using an Objective Statement, you may choose to highlight your experience in a Professional Summary.
The goal is to highlight the specific skills that the employer is seeking in the position. It is helpful to rework your summary every time you apply for a job so that you can use the wording from job advertisements:
Sample Paragraph Format:
Over five years of experience in all phases of employee benefits including designing and implementing new benefits programs, accounting expertise in analyzing benefit data, and progressive management experience including supervision of eight professionals.
Sample Bulleted Format:
• Five years professional background in counseling
• Special strength in educating and treating families of chemically dependent clients
• In-depth knowledge and treatment of addictive and compulsive disorders
- Sensitivity to and experience with diversity issues in addiction
- Certified EAP counselor
Sample Combined Format:
Creative marketing professional with experience producing sales driven copy in deadline driven environments.
- Three years as Marketing Coordinator for mid-size communications firm producing flyers, newspaper advertisements, brochures, and online content
- Two years blogging experience promoting and reviewing on-campus social events
- Committed to building expertise in web communications, social media, and search engine
marketing through exceptional work ethic