Communication Disorders

"Speech is human, silence is divine, yet also brutish and dead: therefore we must learn both arts. "
~ Thomas Carlyle

What is Communication Disorders?

Communication Disorders encompasses a wide range of speech, language, and hearing disorders. They often interfere with the understanding and/or expression of different forms of communication, ranging from simple sound substitution to the inability to understand or use language. Specific communication disorders include autism, Asperger syndrome, and dyslexia. Within the field of communication disorders most jobs exist as either a Speech Pathologist or Audiologist in both the public and private sector, and usually require a Master's degree.

The Bachelor of Arts/Master of Science in Communication Disorders program at William Paterson University is housed in the Department of Communication Disorders in the College of Health and Science. It is an accelerated program that allows students to begin work on a Master's degree while still in the undergraduate program. The program consists of 39 credits towards a Bachelor of Arts as well as 12 credits toward a Master of Science in addition to the general education requirements. Students are required to complete 30 credits within the Department of Communication Disorders, as well as 9 credits of directed electives. Classes include, but are not limited to, Phonetics, Auditory Rehabilitation, Articulation and Phonological Disorders, and The Nature and Development of Language. In order to qualify for the Master's program all students must maintain a 3.3 GPA throughout the 128 credit undergraduate degree.

To learn more about the degree requirements, please visit this link:

Admissions information on Communication Discorders is located here:


What interests and skills do potential employers value in this career?

  • Strong communication skills, both oral and written
  • Patience
  • Listening skills
  • Attention to detail
  • Analysis of data and assessment
  • Ability to diagnose and develop strategies


What types of jobs can communication disorders majors get?

Work Environment :
Careers in communication disorders are primarily split between speech pathologists and audiologists. About half of job opportunities exist in educational services, while most others are involved with health care and social assistance facilities. While some work in the client's home, most often professionals work at a desk in an office with their patients. The work is usually not physically demanding but instead requires intense concentration and can be emotionally stressful at times.


Possible Job Titles

Speech Language Pathologist
Speech Pathologist
Speech and Language Specialist
Teacher of the Speech and Hearing Handicapped
Speech Therapist
Communication Specialist
Educational Speech-Language Clinician
Speech Clinician
Clinical Audiologist
Dispensing Audiologist
Clinical Director
Educational Audiologist
Hearing Instrument Specialist
Pediatric Audiologist
Audiology Technician
Auditory-Verbal Therapist



Aside from majoring in communication disorders, what else can I do that may enhance my qualifications?

Successful students tend to seek out opportunities to enhance their qualifications through a variety of means. Within communication disorders, some suggestions may include joining or becoming a leader in career-related campus organizations; joining a national professional communication disorders association; gaining practical experience through an internship/practicum/job shadowing; attending networking functions.


Where else can I read about accounting ?

Related Web Sites :

Occupational Outlook

Industry Information

Job Search and Salary information

American Speech-Language-Hearing Association

Speech and Communication Disorders Information

Graduate School Programs


Other sources of information :

Please drop by the Career Development and Advisement Center to learn more about careers in communication disorders. The career library carries career-specific books and counselors are available to answer any further questions you may have. Visiting the Department of Communication Disorders on campus may also prove valuable in addressing questions.