- The objective of the interview is to convince the interviewer that you are the most qualified potential team member.
- Do your homework prior to the inteview. Reading a company's annual report, brochures, newsletters, and other material, can make you an informed candidate.
- Use a firm handshake and smile when you meet people, address them by name, and maintain eye contact during the conversation.
- Present a profile of yourself in under two minutes ... a two minute commercial.
- Place yourself in the position of the inteviewer so you can listen and respond from his or her perspective.
- Demonstrate interest in the company, the job and especially the interviewer.
- Prove you are capable of performing rather than merely describing. Provide examples and illustrations.
- Be positive, polite, and personable.
- Do not fabricate, guess or generalize, and do not engage the interviewer in a debate.
- If you do not understand the question, say: "I am sorry, I do not understand the question."
- Remember, you are also interviewing the company. Make sure it meets your needs.
The Career Development and Gloria S. Williams Advisement Center
Student Center 301, 300 Pompton Road Wayne, NJ 07470
Phone 973.720.2281/2282 Fax 973.720.2074