International Students

Admission for international students is based on a review of the appropriate educational documents as well as proficiency in English as measured by the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Testing System (IELTS). Applications may be obtained through the Office of Admissions.

How Do I Apply?

For your convenience, you may either apply online using the Apply link above (be sure to select the appropriate "International" application type) or download and print the William Paterson University application [pdf].  Click here for specific instructions for international students.  If you choose to submit a paper application, print the document, and send it via regular mail to the undergraduate Office of Admissions along with all supporting materials. Supporting materials include:

An essay or statement of purpose for studies.

A major. Students applying for F-1/J-1 student visas must demonstrate to a Consular official that they have a specific academic objective. Do not apply as an undeclared major.

Letters of recommendation are not required, but will be reviewed if you decide to send them.

A non-refundable $50 application fee must be included (U.S. check or money order).

Please begin the application process as soon as possible to allow sufficient time for the issue of a certificate of eligibility (I-20), the student visa application process, application for on-campus housing, travel arrangements, etc.

Please note that certificates of eligibility, I-20s (F-1 visas) or DS2019(J-1 visas) will not be issued after December 1 for the spring semester or August 1 for the fall semester. These documents are issued by the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) and are necessary to apply for a student visa at an American Embassy or Consul outside the U.S.

If you are currently in the U.S. with B-1, B-2, or F-2 visa types, please contact OISS to be advised of your eligibility for full-time study.

International Student Requirements for Admission

Prospective freshmen, transfer, and second degree candidates must arrange to have a course-by-course evaluation of all college coursework completed outside the U.S. sent to the undergraduate Office of Admissions. Those individuals who have completed courses in the U.S. must arrange for official transcripts to be sent directly to the undergraduate Office of Admissions. Please consult the directory below to choose an agency to evaluate your credentials.

Freshmen: You must have the equivalent of a U.S. high school diploma and have never attended a college or university.

Although it is not required for international students, we strongly recommend taking and submitting scores for the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or American College Test (ACT).

Transfer: You may apply as a transfer student if, in addition to the equivalent of a U.S. high school diploma, you have either completed college/university level courses either in the U.S. or another country, or if you have an associate's degree from a U.S. county/community college.

Second Degree: You have completed a degree program either in the U.S. or another country and possess the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's degree and are applying for a new undergraduate degree program. 

Re-admit: You were previously enrolled at William Paterson University as a degree-seeking candidate, and you did not return to classes last semester or did not apply for an official leave of absence.

No Social Security Number?

The online application has a link that allows you to create a student ID and PIN. Use your date of birth in MMDDYY order as your PIN.

In case of difficulty with this process, please e-mail the Office of Admissions to request a student identification number. In the e-mail, include your full name, date of birth, phone number, full address, current (or most recent) school, and requested date of admission. The Office of Admissions will reply with a number that you may use for application purposes. Please note that the number you receive will NOT be a Social Security number. Make sure that you retain your student ID and PIN for future use.

If submitting a paper application, you do not need to request a Student ID. We will assign one upon receipt of your application.


Testing for English as a Foreign Language

TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) minimum scores are: 79-80 for the internet-based test, 213 for the computer-based test and 550 for the paper-based test. William Paterson does not offer an English as a Second Language program for those individuals who score below the minimum requirement.

Upon acceptance, all new students are required to take the University placement test for reading, writing, and mathematics. The results of the test will determine if any ESL-type courses and/or pre-college/noncredit bearing courses are necessary.

For testing dates and worldwide test sites, please contact:

TOEFL/TSE Services, P.O. Box 6154, Princeton, NJ 08541-6154
Telephone: 609.771.7100.

For (IELTS) International English Language Testing System please visit:

Note: Individuals from countries where the official national language or language of instruction is English are exempt from TOEFL requirements. For a list of eligible countries please contact the Office of International Students and Scholars.

The Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) provides support services and referrals for our international student community. For information on how to obtain a certificate of eligibility, I-20 or DS-2019, please contact the office at 973.720.2976 or fax 973.720.2336 or follow the link above. The office is located in Raubinger Hall at William Paterson.

Credential Evaluation Agencies
All educational credentials from outside the U.S. are subject to credentials evaluation.

To be assured that your credentials will be recognized by William Paterson University, please choose an agency from the list below and any agency listed by (NACES) National Association of Credential Evaluation Services:

Your chosen agency will inform you of all materials and fees necessary to conduct your evaluation. They will generate an official document which should be sent to William Paterson University where it will be recognized as your official transcript.

Education certification: please be aware that teaching certificate eligibility requirements are governed by state requirements. Please contact the Office of Certification in the College of Education for additional information.

World Education Services
- PO Box 745, Old Chelsea Station, New York, NY 10113-0745
- Tel: 212.219.7300

Educational Credentials Evaluators
- PO Box 92970, Milwalkee, WI 53202-0970
- Tel: 414.289.3400

International Consultants of Delaware
- 3600 Market Street, Suite 450, Philadelphia, PA 19104-2651
- Tel: 215-243-5858

Globe Language Services
- 319 Broadway 2nd Fl., New York, NY 10070
- Tel: 212.227.1994

Josef Silny & Associates
- PO Box 248233, Coral Gables, FL 33214
- Tel: 305.666.0233