Through the Department of Mathematics, William Paterson offers both bachelor of arts and bachelor of science degrees. Minors in mathematics and statistics also are available. Designed to prepare students for graduate school, teaching, and professional careers in mathematics, the program encourages students to:
- understand the logic of mathematical thinking and study underlying structures, relationships, and operations.
- develop a repertoire of problem-solving techniques, as well as mathematical skills and applications.
- comprehend the difference between conjecture and rigorous mathematical proof.
- use the language of mathematics to present precise descriptions and logical relationships.
Students also benefit from:
- a state-of-the-art computer lab available exclusively to math majors
- the opportunity to work with and conduct research under the guidance of a dedicated faculty mentor through the program's capstone course.
- an active student Math Club and a Women's Math Group, which organize trips to universities and corporations to learn more about options for careers in mathematics.