Are you ready for what's next?
Find your next major, your next club, your next university experience by taking a quick personalized quiz.
Ask Willy P.
Ask a complete question like: How do I apply?
Department of Sociology
Work and Community Engagement
The bachelor of arts (B.A.) in sociology at William Paterson University seeks to help undergraduates become effective citizens, with the ability to grapple with such issues as multiculturalism, inequality, and globalization. By integrating these key concepts with both theory and methodology of the discipline, students become capable of fulfilling the two core commitments of sociology: critical inquiry and civic engagement.
Benefits of the William Paterson sociology program include:
- a degree program that serves as a national model with the American Sociological Association
- a reputation for excellence, resulting in the department's selection as headquarters for the prestigious Eastern Sociological Society, the professional organization for sociologists in the Mid-Atlantic region,
- designation as a MOST (Minority Opportunities through School Transformation) site by the American Sociological Association, the only college or university so designated in the northeastern quadrant of the United States, and one of only 15 in the nation.
- an outstanding faculty of sociologists praised for their extensive research publication and professional leadership at the regional, national, and international levels.
- the opportunity to experience lectures by the nationally and internationally prominent social scientists invited to the University each year to speak to our students.
For further information, visit the Department of Sociology home page or contact:
Kathleen Odell Korgen, Ph.D.
Chair, Sociology Department