Political Science (BA)
The political science program at William Paterson University provides students the ability to evaluate and participate in the local, national, and international political systems that impact their lives. Benefits of the program include:
- A strong international focus that prepares students to compete in the global economy. Each year our students participate in two "Model United Nations" competitions with students from around the country, winning awards and besting such schools as Harvard, Yale, Berkeley, and the University of Chicago.
- A pre-law concentration that includes intensive mentoring and workshops on preparing for careers in law.
- An extensive internship program, both locally and in Washington D.C., which places students with state and national legislators, social service agencies, businesses, local governments and in law and justice work.
- A summer program at St. Edmund's College, Cambridge University, which gives students the opportunity to study comparative politics in an international setting.
- A distinguished faculty that includes recipients of the prestigious Fulbright Award for international research and teaching, the highest level of recognition given to college professors.
Listen to what our students say about us:
- "It is primarily because of the level of individual attention and motivation I have received from various faculty in your department over the past few years that I ever began to understand my true potential and discovered my intense desire to explore my own limits. I thank you."
- "I have already been in Washington now for one week (on the Washington, D.C. internship program) and already I have set up a data base for the Secretary of Education, and sat in on Congress for the first time. I am extremely excited to be here. I am having the most amazing time-and I would not be here without the support of the Department."
Wartyna Davis, Ph.D.
Chair, Department of Political Science
Michael Principe, Ph.D.