The history department, with twenty full-time faculty members, is one of the largest history departments in New Jersey. The department prides itself on the caliber of its teaching while emphasizing in-depth study, comparative inquiry, as well as more specialized research. The number of majors has risen sharply in recent years, to around 400.
The department aims to optimize student success through:
- recognized academic excellence. The history program was commended for excellence by internal and external reviews.
- distinguished scholars and dedicated teachers. Holding doctorates from top graduate schools, the faculty has been awarded many prestigious fellowships, including nine Fulbright Fellowships.
- excellent value. A state university, William Paterson offers small classes, personal attention, challenging courses taught by distinguished scholars, and access to the state-of-the-art history computer lab.
- student success. Graduates have been awarded fellowships at top graduate schools or hold satisfying positions in various professions.
Graduates have pursued careers in the following fields:
- education: graduate school, teachers, principals, and librarians
- law and government: lawyers, public administrators
- business: banking, insurance, real estate, sales
To learn more, visit the Department of History home page or contact:
Evelyn Gonzalez, Ph.D.
Chair, Department of History