Department of Education - Elementary
- Early Childhood Education/P-3 (B.A.)
- Early Childhood and Elementary Education /P-3 and K-5
(B.A. - dual certification)
- Elementary Education/K-5 (B.A.)
- Elementary Education/K-5 (B.A.) and Middle School Endorsement/5-8
- Elementary Education/K-5 (B.A.) and Teacher of Students with Disabilities Endorsement (Special Education)
- Secondary Education/K-12 (B.A.)
- Music Education (B.M.)
- Physical Education (B.S.)
- College of Education Homepage
- Undergraduate Education Programs Homepage
- Catalog for Elementary and Early Childhood Education - Program and Curriculum Info [PDF]
- Catalog for Secondary and Middle School Education - Program and Curriculum Info [PDF]
- Catalog for Teacher of Students with Disabilities (Special Education) - Program and Curriculum Info [PDF]
The College of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). Our College emphasizes the development of teachers as "reflective decision-makers and role models in facilitating learning" (College of Education Student Teaching Handbook). It provides prospective teachers with resources, such as a state-of-the-art educational technology lab, opportunities for community involvement, and close mentoring relationships with distinguished University faculty, field supervisors, and cooperating teachers.
Each of our programs offers a coherent sequence of courses and field experiences that will prepare you to become a teacher. Students are formally accepted to the College after completing the introductory requirements and achieving a 2.75 grade point average.
Other than Music Education or Physical Education, all students seeking teacher certification at any level are required to have an academic major offered by another college within the University in addition to a teacher certification major. Appropriate subject majors for each level of certification are listed on the College of Education homepage. Click here to review information about all of the University's programs.
To learn more, please use the links and information below:
College of Education homepage or contact:
Ana Maria Schuhmann, Ed.D.
Interim Dean, College of Education
Department of Elementary and Early Childhood Education homepage or contact:
Linnie Weiland, Ph.D.
Chair, Department of Elementary and Early Childhood Education
Department of Secondary and Middle School Education homepage or contact:
Althea Hylton-Lindsay, Ph.D.
Chair, Department of Secondary and Middle School Education
Department of Special Education and Counseling homepage
Peter Griswold, Ed.D.
Chair, Department of Special Education and Counseling