Computer Science (B.S.)
The department offers a comprehensive program of study in both the theory of computer science and its applications, leading to a B.S. degree. A broad foundation in problem solving, modeling, and decision-making is established, and programming is developed and refined.
Accredited Program: The bachelor of science degree program in computer science is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET).
Successful Placement Record: Most of our alumni hold rewarding jobs in mainstream computer science as programmers, system analysts, software engineers, database designers and administrators, and network specialists. Many have achieved distinguished status or become managers with companies such as AT&T, Telcordia, IBM, and Verizon.
Various concepts, reinforced through extensive lab work and computer projects, include:
- program design and analysis
- computer languages and software development
- application packages
- computer hardware, digital logic, and operating systems
- artificial intelligence
- numerical analysis
- database management
- computer graphics
- data communications and computer networks
- theory of computation
Opportunities for individual advancement in the program include the following.
- Internship program. Students have worked with companies such as Cytec, IBM Global Services, and AT&T. In addition to gaining real world work experience, they earn credits for their internship. Frequently, internships evolve into full-time employment upon graduation.
- Research opportunities. Qualified students may join a research team with professors, and participants have published and presented papers at national and international conferences.
- Career placement. Alumni hold rewarding jobs as programmers, system analysts, database designers and administrators, managers, and network specialists with companies such as AT&T, Lucent, IBM, and Verizon. Recently, most graduates have received job offers before or shortly after graduation.