Public Health - General Track
Are you ready for what's next?
Find your next major, your next club, your next university experience by taking a quick personalized quiz.
Ask Willy P.
Ask a complete question like: How do I apply?
Department of Public Health
Applied Health (B.S.) / Public Health Education (B.S.)
The department offers a nationally recognized professional preparation program in public health, a field in which specialists strive to keep people healthy by giving them information they need to make better health decisions. The University's community health education program is the only one in New Jersey to be approved by the Society for Public Health Education/American Association for Health Education Baccalaureate Program Approval Committee (SABPAC), assuring academic excellence.
The faculty prepares health education specialists with the knowledge and skills to:
- assess health needs of diverse populations
- meet those needs through the planning and implementation of educational programs
- evaluate the success of those programs in promoting health and preventing disease.
The faculty also prepares health educators to serve as researchers, community program planners, and evaluation specialists.
Within the program, students may:
- participate at local, state, and national conferences, as well in professional associations
- provide health education services to the community
- work with the New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services
- experience a full-time internship during senior year.
Successful alumni have held such positions as:
- education coordinator at Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation
- program director at the American Cancer Society
- health inspector at Bergen County Department of Health
- municipal health officers in Westwood and Bernardsville
- health educator at Chilton Memorial Hospital
- director of community health at Barnert Hospital
Other graduates work for the Food and Drug Administration, county health departments, pharmaceutical companies, and managed care companies, among others.