Secondary Education K-12 Music (MAT)
Degree Offered: Master of Arts in Teaching Secondary Education Subject Field (K-12) Music
April 15th: Summer semester
*International students are advised to apply by:
December 1st: Summer (May intake)
Non-degree status not available
The Master of Arts in Teaching in Secondary Education (K-12): Music is a 30-credit, 14 month program, in which graduate students earn initial certification and a Master of Arts in Teaching degree in their subject area. The coursework begins in June of the first summer and ends in August of the following summer. The program requires a year-long residency starting in September, during which students will be in area schools full time, three days a week in the fall and four days a week in the spring. Students will meet and implement their action research projects during the second summer semester. Students will be required to demonstrate effective teaching, research, and dispositions that are aligned with COE, state, and national standards through videos, lesson plans, and a research capstone project. Literacy and technology are integrated throughout the program and key assessments include a teaching performance assessment, action research project, and edTPA..
In addition to the University’s admission requirements:
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college of university with an appropriate academic major in the Subject Field Area
- A cumulative undergraduate grade point average of at least 3.00 on a 4.00 scale.
- Passing score on PRAXIS Core exam in reading, writing and math
- Passing score on PRAXIS II content exam in Music: Content Knowledge
- Two letters of recommendation from an educational, professional or business source
- An essay describing applicants educational philosophy
- An interview with Dr. Tom Fallace, email@example.com
Requirements to be completed prior to Student Teaching:
- Submission of Residency Application
- Fulfill health/hygiene requirement.
- Pass speech and hearing assessments.
- 30 credits of graduate study.
- Become a member of content area Specialized Professional Association (SPA).
- Satisfactory completion of Teacher Work Sample.
- Cumulative GPA of at least a 3.00 on a 4.00 scale.
- Satisfactory completion of action research project.
- Satisfactory completion of year-long residency.
|Initial Certification Secondary Education K-12 Subject Field and Master of Teaching||30credits|
|Foundational Coursework First Summer
|SMAT 5000: Knowing Your Adolescent Learner
(20 hours of field experience)
|SMAT 5100: The Art of Teaching in the 21st Century
(30 hours of field experience)
|Residency and Methods course work for Fall|
|SMAT 5020 Knowing Your Adolescent Learner II||3|
|SMAT 5600 Master of Arts in Teaching Residency and Seminar I||3|
|MUSI 5050 MAT Teaching Strategies for Elementary Music||2|
|MUSI 5070 MAT Teaching Strategies for Instrumental Music||2|
|Residency and Methods course work for Spring|
|SMAT 5620 Master of Arts in Teaching Residency and Seminar II||3|
|SMAT 5200 Knowing Your Profession I||3|
|MUSI 5060 MAT Teaching Strategies for Choral Music||3|
|MAT coursework in Summer
|SMAT 5220 Knowing Your Profession II||3|