Endorsement – Middle School Science 5-8
Degree Offered: Endorsement
Concentration: Middle School Science
1600 Valley Road Building
A joint program between the College of Science and Health and the College of Education, the purpose of the Science Endorsement Program (SCEN) is to further prepare teachers who currently hold a valid Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standing (CEAS) certificate with 5-8 subject specialization in science. The program consists of five 3-credit courses and is designed to provide teachers with the necessary knowledge and skills to pass the Praxis II Middle School Science test. Upon successful completion of the program, candidates will be recommended to the New Jersey Department of Education for middle school science licensure.
The objectives of the program are:
- To enable teachers to incorporate the New Jersey Core Curriculum Content Standards for Science and the National Science Teacher Association Standards in teaching and learning science.
- To provide teachers with the ability to formulate scientific questions to guide student learning with real-world application of scientific principles.
- To provide teachers with basic laboratory skills in order to enrich their own as well as their students’ understanding of science concepts and applications.
- To provide teachers with the confidence and skills that will enable them to become effective science teachers.
- Cumulative grade point average of no less than 2.75 on 4.00 scale.
- A copy of a teaching certificate (CEAS or Standard).
- 15 credits of graduate study.
|Endorsement: Middle School Science (5-8)||15 Credits|
|SCEN 500 Scientific Processes (prerequisite course)||3|
|SCEN 501 Physical Science I||3|
|SCEN 502 Physical Science II||3|
|SCEN 503 Life Sciences||3|
|SCEN 504 Earth Systems Science||3|