Nursing – Adult/ Gerontology Nurse Practitioner (MSN)
Degree Offered: Master of Science in Nursing
Concentration: Adult/Gerontology Nurse Practitioner
October 1st (Spring Admission)
The Adult/Gerontology Nurse Practitioner track is a 40-credit-hour program that prepares students for the advanced practice of nursing in primary health care of adults. The focus is on the comprehensive care of well, at risk, and chronically ill clients. In collaboration with other health care professionals, students provide health promotion, health maintenance, and management in a variety of clinical sites. The program is designed for either part- or full-time study.
Adult/Gerontology nurse practitioners can be employed in a variety of settings:
- Collaborative clinical practice
- Specialty practice
- Community clinic
- Group clinical practice/HMOs
- Nurse-managed clinics
- Retail clinics
- Occupational health
- Urgent/emergency room
Upon completion of the theory and practicum course requirements, you would be eligible to apply for the Adult/Gerontology Nurse Practitioner Certification Examination by American Association of Nurse Practitioner (AANP) or American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). The MSN program has been accredited from 2005 to 2015 by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
In addition to the University’s admission requirements:
- B.SN degree
- Current RN license in the State of New Jersey.
- Cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 3.00 on a scale of 4.00.
- Satisfactory total score on GRE or MAT (if your BSN GPA is greater than or equal to 3.5, this will be waived).
- One year’s work experience as a registered nurse.
- Undergraduate prerequisite courses.
- Nursing research.
- Physical assessment.
- Two professional letters of recommendation.
- Essay that includes professional experience.
- 40 credits of graduate study in the adult/gerontology nurse practitioner track and completion of 510 supervised hours.
|MSN (Adult Nurse Practitioner concentration)||40 credits|
|NUR 5001 Theoretical Foundations for Nursing||3|
|NUR 5081 The Role of the Advanced Practice Nurse||3|
|NUR 5701 Population Health, Legislation and Social Policy||3|
|NUR 6021 Nursing Research Strategies: Translational Science||3|
|NUR 6041 Advanced Nursing Practicum I||4|
|NUR 7251 Advanced Nursing Role Practicum||4|
|NUR 7031 Thesis Seminar||1|
|NUR 5461 Advanced Pathophysiology||3|
|NUR 6001 Advanced Health Assessment||3|
|NUR 6011 Advanced Pharmacology||3|
|NUR 6111 Advanced Nursing Theory I||3|
|NUR 6121 Advanced Nursing Theory II||3|
|NUR 7011 Advanced Nursing Practicum II||4|