Initial Certification – Elementary Education K-6 with TSD Endorsement
Degree Offered: Initial Certification
Concentration: Initial Certification Elementary Education K-6 with Teacher of Students with Disabilities Endorsement
1600 Valley Road Building
This initial dual licensure program is intended for college graduates who are not currently certified to teach in any area and who wish to earn certification in Elementary Education,
K-6 with an endorsement as Teacher of Students with Disabilities. This 46-credit program includes 34 credits of coursework, two practicums and a 10-credit full-time semester of student teaching. Upon completion of the program, teacher candidates will possess the knowledge, skills and dispositions to teach general education students K-6, and students with special needs.
- A cumulative undergraduate grade point average of at least 3.00 on a 4.00 scale.
- Two letters of recommendation from professional sources.
- Completion of co-requisite courses (may be taken at undergraduate or graduate level): Developmental Psychology, Educational Psychology and Multicultural Course (see advisor for list of acceptable courses).*
- An essay that describes the personal reasons for wanting to complete the program.
- Praxis Core academic skills for educators
- Passing Score on the appropriate Praxis II exam(s)
*If pre-requisite courses were not completed as part of B.A. degree, then they must be taken before Teaching Internship.
- 46 credits of graduate study.
- At least 3.0 GPA throughout program.
|Certificate: Initial Certification Elementary Education K-6|
|with TSD Endorsement||46 Credits|
|Core Course (Pre-requisite to specialization courses)||3 Credits|
|SPC 5550 Educational Foundations in a Diverse Society||3|
|Specialization Courses (in alphabetical order):|
|CIEE 5120: Reading, Language Arts & Literature in Inclusive and Non-Inclusive Classrooms||3|
|SPC 5600 Understanding School-Based Assessment of Diverse Learners||3|
|SPC 5620 Standards-Based Instructional Management||3|
|SPC 5640 Managing Challenging Behaviors in Diverse Settings||3|
|SPC 5660 Assistive Tech in the Inclusion Classroom||3|
|SPC 5800 Collaboration with School, Home and Community||3|
|SPC 5820 The Universally Designed Inclusive Classroom||3|
|SPC 5700 Language, Literacy and Learning in a Diverse Society||3|
|CIEE 5130 Math Methods & Assessments (K-5)||3|
|CIEE 5170 Practicum / Seminar||1|
|SPC 5750 Practicum / Seminar||1|
|EDUC 5140 Post-Bac Teaching Internship/Seminar||10|
|Visit the Office of Field Experience (OFE) for information regarding field requirements: