Initial Certification – Secondary Education – K-12 Music
Degree Offered: Initial Certification
Concentration: Initial Certification Secondary Education K-12: Music
1600 Valley Road building
This program offers a graduate curriculum leading to a New Jersey Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standing (CEAS) in music.
(Note: Post-baccalaureate teacher certification programs may be taken as standalone programs OR can be taken as Phase I in the 2-phase MAT program. See MAT Program Sheet for details.)
Candidates holding a teaching contract in an acceptable private school may complete the student teaching internship requirement with supervision of the college at that school for two semesters. Additional field placements include a part-time practicum and school-based observations.
In addition to the University’s admission requirements:
- Approved liberal arts or science major (for K-12); or 60 credits in liberal arts (for K-6 and K-6 with 5-8); and a minimum of 15 credits in the content area for 5-8 subject endorsement.
- A cumulative undergraduate grade point average of at least 3.00 on a 4.00 scale.
- Two letters of recommendation from an educator.
- An essay describing applicant's reasons for wanting to enter the teaching profession.
- An interview with the program director.
- Prior to student teaching, one course in developmental psychology or its equivalent (3 credits) or educational psychology depending on certification sought; an additional course in adolescent psychology for K-5 with 5-8 certification candidates.
- Satisfied physiology and hygiene requirement.
- Praxis Core academic skills for educators
*Candidates must consult with their faculty advisor before selector courses in the event that changes have been made in the program or its course offerings.
**Candidates must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in order to remain matriculated in this program.
- 28 credits of graduate study.
- Become a member of content area Specialized Professional Association (SPA).
- Performance Portfolio with resume, lesson plans and unit plans, assessment and management techniques.
|Certificate: Initial Certification Secondary Education K-12 Music||28 credits|
|CIEE 5110 Educational and Psychological Theories and Applications||3|
|CISE 5200/CISE 2950 Educational Psychology and Classroom Management||3|
|CIRL 5220 Literacy and Technology Across the Curriculum/CIRL 3350 Literacy Technology and Instruction||3|
|CIEE 5220 Inclusion, Second Language Learners, and Differentiated Instruction||2|
|CIEE 5300 Secondary Education Practicum/CISE 3520 Practicum Internship (candidates must possess a substitute teaching license prior to practicum semester.)||2|
|Plus one of the following:|
|CISE 5310/CISE 4110 Social Studies Methods for Secondary Schools||3|
|CISE 5320/CISE 4130 Mathematics Methods for Secondary Schools||3|
|CISE 5330/CISE 4140 Creative Arts Methods in Secondary Schools||3|
|CISE 5340/CISE 4120 English/Language Arts Methods in Secondary Schools||3|
|CISE 5350/CISE 4170 Science Methods in Secondary Schools||3|
|CISE 5360/4190 World Language Methods in Secondary Schools||3|
|EDUC 5400 Student Teaching Internship – 5 days per week||10|
|CISE 5500 Reckoning with the Past and Preparing for a Future in Education||2|
|Note: Field experiences (CISE 5300 and EDUC 5400) MUST be applied for one year in advance. Applications, which include biographical data forms, are available to download from the Office of Field Experiences web page at www.wpunj.edu/coe/departments/field/applications.dot|